C & O Canal
Sites and Facilities
Google Maps Tour
Georgetown (to Mile 5)
Locks 5 - 14 (to Mile 10)
Carderock (to Mile 13)
Great Falls (to Mile 15)
Seneca (Locks 21-24, to Mile 23)
To Point of Rocks (Mile 48)
To Harpers Ferry (Mile 60)
To Shepherdstown (Mile 73)
To Williamsport (Mile 99)
To Hancock (Mile 124)
To Paw Paw (Mile 155)
To Old Town (Mile 167)
To Cumberland (Mile 184)
Controlling Water Flow
- Collects water to be diverted to the canal and keep it watered.
- Controls the amount of water entering the canal.
- Carries smaller streams under the canal.
- Allows boats to enter lower water.
- Keeps water flowing around the lock when the gates are closed.
- Drains water back to the river if the level was too high.
- If heavy flooding caused the canal wall to break, the stop gate was lowered to confine the loss of water to that section above the gate (see image below.)