Mile 54 - This old air field was made into a two hundred site campground.
If you're hiking or biking, the campground office (right near the entrance) has
a soda and snack machine. You can call them at 301-834-8050
(Campground) or 301-834-7500 (City Hall). The office has a pamphlet
that has all the details about staying there:
Brunswick Family Campground is operated by the City of Brunswick, Maryland.
Brunswick is a small city with a population of 5,000. It is on the National
Register of Historic Places as an example of a 1900's era railroad town.
Brunswick Family Ground is on a secluding stretch of land between the Potomac
River and the C&O Canal National Historical Park in Frederick County, Maryland.
The Canal's scenic towpath winds past the Campground and provides the only road
access to this riverfront camping area.
Relax and take in peaceful river views from your campsite or enjoy the many recreational
activities available for campers of all ages:
- Boating and fishing on the river.
- Bicycling, walking and running on the canal towpath.
- Playing horseshoes volleyball, shuffle-board or basketball.
- Playing in the kids playground.
- Listening to musical entertainment and special weekends.
- Seeing wildflowers, birds, and wildlife along the river trails
- Sitting by a campfire.
- Sleeping under the stars.
- Brunswick Railroad Museum with its famous HO-scale model trains.
- Antique shops.
- Brunswick rail yards and train station.
- Appalachian Trail.
- Whitewater rafting and tubing.
- Civil War sites including Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Antietam National Battlefield, Monocacy Battlefield Park.
- Gathland and Gambrill State Parks.
- 65 RV and 300 Tent sites
- Boat Ramp
- Pavillions and Picnic Tables
- 30 AMP Electric Service
- Water Hookups
- R.V. Dumping Station
- Bath House with hot showers
- Recreational courts
- Playground equipment
- Ice and Vending machines
- Campfire rings
- Brunswick Swimming Pool
- Nearby stores, restaurants, parks, farm market, and library
Information & Reservations: 301-834-8050 (Campground) 301-834-7500 (City Hall)
Brunswick Family Campground
Brunswick City Hall
1 W. Potomac Street
Brunswick, MD 21716
From here to Brunswick (approx. one more mile), the canal is accessible by road and hiker/bikers must watch for cars.
There are covered areas here (and they don't all have tractors parked in them.)